Skip to main content

January Round-Up

A lot happened during the month of January. But one blog-worthy story is that I landed a job interview with Mckinsey. The 'experience interview' went well but I botched the case interview :(. On the positive side I learned a few things about management consulting and the importance of structured thinking and presentation. While I have spent a great deal of time these past few days trying to figure out what I could have done differently I have also decided that I would not let that failure dictate my pace in 2012.

Take my new-found love for art for example. When I visited the MoMa earlier in January I met Degas, Rivera, Picasso, Van Gogh et.al. I saw the famous 'Starry Night' by Van Gogh, "The Indian Warrior" by Rivera, Picasso's "Still Life with Chair-Caning" and others. These works moved me in a way that art has never done before and I now realize why. Before going to the museum I did my due diligence and googled some of the works that were on exhibition. The SMART HISTORY videos and the Khan Academy have been useful in initiating me into the world of art history. If, like me, you did not major in Art History I recommend learning about an artist's work and its place in history before going to an exhibition.

As a result I have started paying serious attention to art and plan to visit the National Gallery of Art in DC to see Picasso's earlier work.

Renoir, Moulin de la Galette, 1876 from Smarthistory Videos on Vimeo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mapping the Blast Radius: What Happens When the "World's Factory" Stops?

In global trade, "efficiency" often masks "fragility." We know that China is central to the global electronics supply chain, but how central? And if that node were to go dark, who would feel the shockwaves first? To answer this, I moved beyond standard trade statistics and built a network simulation using the OECD Inter-Country Input-Output (ICIO) Tables (2023 Edition) . This dataset maps the DNA of the global economy, tracking every dollar of input across 66 countries and 45 industries. 1. The Blast Radius: Tracing the Contagion I treated the global economy as a directed graph and simulated a total supply shock to Chinese Electronics (CHN_C26) . By tracing the flow of inputs across three tiers of buyers, I visualized the "Blast Radius" of this disruption. Fig 1: The Supply Chain Cascade. The shock originates in China (Red) and immediately hits "Tier 1" assembly hubs (Dark Blue) before cascading to global consumers...

Turkey's Informality Tax

A general-equilibrium model of Turkey's dual labour market says the cost of taxing formal work doesn't show up where we usually look for it. The bottomline: Making Turkey's transfer to the unemployed a third more generous raises unemployment from 8.6% to 9.2% . That is the honest cost, and it is not large. How you pay for it matters more than whether you pay for it. Funded by payroll taxes, the poor end up 0.6% worse off than before the transfer was raised — the policy defeats itself. Funded by VAT, they are 0.5% better off . The reason is not unemployment, which is nearly identical under both. It is informality . A higher payroll tax pushes formal jobs into the unregistered sector, where the wage is 43% lower and nothing is taxed. Turkey is not on the wrong side of the payroll-tax Laffer curve — revenue peaks around 53%, well above today's ~37.5% wedge. But the marginal cost...

The Labor Market Impacts of AI in Türkiye: Beyond Occupational Exposure Analysis

Beyond Exposure AI and Labor Markets · Türkiye Occupational exposure to AI identifies where technology may affect work, but not whether employment will contract, reorganize, or expand. Applying the Richmond (2026) AI Jobs Transition Framework to Türkiye's 2024 Household Labour Force Survey, the dominant high-exposure archetype is not automation. It is reorganization. Mpumelelo Nxumalo and Dhushyanth Raju · Summary of the working paper Beyond Exposure: AI and Labor Market Reorganization in Türkiye Most discussion of AI and jobs runs on a single number: how much of an occupation's task content a model can perform. That number identifies where technology reaches. It does not say what happens next. An exposed occupation may shed workers, or it may keep them while the work itself is rebuilt around the technology. Those are different outcomes, they call for different policy, and exposure alone cannot tell them apart. Applying the Richmond (202...